On 7th March 2017, six persons (Vijay Tirki, Pandu Narote, Mahesh Tirki, Prashant Rahi, G.N. Saibaba and Hem Mishra) were convicted by the Gadchiroli Sessions Court, Maharashtra under provisions of the draconian Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967. While Vijay Tirki was sentenced to ten years imprisonment, all others were sentenced for life. This case adds to the long list of political prisoners against whom criminal cases have been foisted by the State under the undemocratic UAPA along with various sections of the Indian Penal Code.
23rd April 2008
(1) S. Seshaiah, Andhra Pradesh Civil Liberties Committee [APCLC]
(2) Sujato Bhadra,Association for Protection of Democratic Rights [APDR]
(3) P.A. Sebastian,Committee for Protection of Democratic Rights [CPDR]
(4) K. Balagopal, Human Rights Forum [HRF]
(5) Antony Samy,Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana [LHS]
(6) Harish Dhawan / Nagraj,Peoples Union for Democratic Rights [PUDR]
C/o. P.A. Sebastian, 110 YMCA, 12 N. Parekh Marg, Colaba, Mumbai-400 039.
PEOPLES UNION FOR DEMOCRATIC RIGHTS (PUDR)
Public Meeting Invite
Eroded Democracy: The Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) & Political Trials
Speakers: Arun Ferreira (Committee for the Protection of Democratic Rights, Mumbai), Sharfuddin Ahmed (People’s Movement Against UAPA, Kerala), Gautam Navlakha (People’s Union for Democratic Rights, Delhi)
A brief background of six political prisoners convicted under the UAPA is provided in the attached file.