- That 38 million people of our country residing in the North East are forced to live under a military rule and an undeclared Emergency.
- That this military rule has been carried on without a break for 46 years.
- That even a non commissioned army officer of the lowest rank has the power to shoot to kill anybody, to forcibly enter any house, to destroy any building and to arrest anyone without a warrant.
- That to take such action the officer needs no permission from a superior and is not answerable to anyone.
- That people have no right to approach the court and launch prosecution for atrocities
- committed by any such officer.
- That all this is sanctioned by a law called the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act which came into being in 1958.
- That despite an eight year ceasefire and efforts towards a peace process between the Government of India and the NSCN, the army is still deployed in Naga areas.
Download this article here